Dear Treasurers and Finance Chairs (cc: to Pastors),
Happy New Year! My very best wishes for a new year filled with peace, joy and good health.
With the close of the calendar year I want to encourage you to do all you can to pay 2019 conference apportionments in full. As a reminder, the cut-off date for receiving funds is this Friday, January 10th . This is the day that payments must be received by the Conference so if you are cutting it close, please send your payments via overnight mail or hand-deliver.
If your church is unable to pay apportionments in full, please consider exceeding your previous year's payment percentage.
If you have any questions about the status of your payments please call Fran Collins at 914-615-2223. She will be happy to speak with you.
Please know that any level of payment is greatly appreciated and that we take our responsibility to be good stewards of these funds very seriously.
We know how difficult fulfilling this obligation can be. Many churches are challenged by deteriorating buildings, declining attendance, aging populations and members on fixed incomes. Between the expenses of building upkeep and staffing it can be difficult to raise money for mission and ministry. But mission and ministry is our calling and core to our Wesleyan faith.
Apportionments are the vehicle through which our member churches help fund missions and ministries within our Conference, our nation and the world to make disciples of Jesus Christ.
The “connectional” structure of our denomination means that your apportionments go toward:
- providing healthcare for retired pastors of our Conference
- supporting ministries of social concern and justice for the poor and disenfranchised
- supporting soup kitchens, feeding programs, food pantries, after-school programs and a variety of ministries in each of our six districts to help people through difficult times
- underwriting age-level programs in our Conference such as the Council of Youth Ministries, Older Adult Ministries and Children’s Ministries
- providing scholarships to students that feel called to ministry
- and helping the Conference to run efficiently and effectively by providing leadership from our Bishop, our six District Superintendents and the Connectional Ministries and Finance offices
There are too many other uses of apportionments to list here, but you get the idea!